As someone who loves economics, I’m not only intrigued by socioeconomic phenomena, but also investigating why certain things have value. Why do some people desire certain things over others? Gold is potentially the most intriguing, in that the desire for it is almost universal.
Why is Gold valuable?????
1. The usual go-to explanation is the universal desire for it. Anything that is this popular, just inherently has value. (yawn).
2. It reflects infrared radiation. Huh…. interesting, but not really INTRIGUING.
3. It has many uses in manufacturing,from teeth to towers. Interesting, yes… thought provoking? Not really.
4. It’s the most malleable (it can be pressed permanently out of shape without breaking or cracking) and ductile (able to be drawn out into a thin wire). Ok, this is VERY cool. No wonder everyone loves this stuff.
5. It looks pretty. Never underestimate the value of beauty.
6. Other than noble gases, this is pretty much the least reactive thing on earth. Interesting, but not anything to scream from a rooftop.
7. Now, for the moment you’ve all been waiting for. The real reason gold is so valuable. Gold is…. wait for it…. waaaaiiiit fooor iiiit… NOT FROM EARTH. Seriously folks, we have no idea where it’s from but we know it’s not from fricking EARTH. Clearly, you know where I believe it’s from. So if you happen to be wearing some gold right now, who knows what someone, or something, was doing with it a bajillion years ago.